Monday, August 17, 2015

An awesome 9 year old girl tells you about books she loves!



Hey everyone! Princess Dagger here, guest posting again on Cosmoe's blogariffic blog!

Back when I wrote about great book series for 7-9 year old girls, I said that the girls I talked to had a gazillion book suggestions. Well, I wasn't kidding. Those kids wouldn't stop talking about books!

So today I have more books that girls and boys who are around eight or nine years old would really get into, straight from an Earth kid named Lily. Ready? Here we go!



Judy Moody by Megan McDonald, illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds (first in a series)

Book description: Judy Moody doesn't have high hopes for third grade. Her new desk won't have an armadillo sticker with her name on it. Her new classroom will not have a porcupine named Roger. And with her luck, she'll get stuck sitting in the first row, where Mr. Todd will notice every time she tries to pass a note to her best friend, Rocky. But when Mr. Todd assigns a very special class project, things start looking up because Judy really gets a chance to express herself! This is a feisty, funny chapter book for every kid who has ever felt a little out of sorts.

Lily says: Judy Moody is funny and I think both girls and boys would like these books. I like how she isn't perfect and she feels all different ways: happy, mad, grumpy -- just like a regular kid. The TP club is super funny, too!



Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great by Jude Blume

Book description: The Tubman family's plans to summer in Tarrytown actually sound like fun until Shiela discovers that their rental home comes with a dog and she'll have to take swimming lessons ... two of her greatest fears. But her new friend Mouse helps her learn that in order to conquer her fears, Sheila must first admit to them.

Lily says: My mom told me she loved this book when she was a kid, and I love it too! Sheila is funny and acts like a know-it-all when she doesn't know something and she tells white lies instead of just admitting it. Her new friend Mouse is really nice and helps Sheila and they have lots of fun. I read this book over and over. Oh, and just because this book has a pink cover doesn't mean it's for girls. I think boys would like this book too.



Lunch Lady by Jarrett J. Krosoczka (first in a series)

Book description: Hector, Terrence, and Dee have always wondered about their school lunch lady. What does she do when she isn’t dishing out the daily special? Where does she live? Does she have a lot of cats at home? Little do they know, Lunch Lady doesn’t just serve sloppy joes—she serves justice! Whatever danger lies ahead, it’s no match for LUNCH LADY!

Lily says: I learned in school that this is called a graphic novel. It's kind of like a long comic strip. The book's author came to my school and it was awesome. I really like all the Lunch Lady books, and so did my whole class!



Ramona Forever by Beverly Cleary (part of a series)

Book description: Life can move pretty fast—especially when you're in the third grade, your teenage sister's moods drive you crazy, and your mom has a suspicious secret she just won't share. Plus, Mr. Quimby's new job offer could have the entire family relocating. It's a lot to handle for Ramona. But whatever trial comes her way, Ramona can count on one thing for sure—she'll always be Ramona…forever!

Lily says: I have been reading the Ramona books for a few years. My mom read them to me when they were a little hard for me to read, and now I've read them all on my own. This is my favorite Ramona book. She is funny and I like reading books like these where the kid goes through the same kind of stuff I do, like having a sister who can be annoying.



Nancy Clancy: Star of Stage and Screen
by Jane O'Connor, illustrated by Robin Preiss Glasser (part of a series)

Book description: It's Nancy's time to shine as she takes center stage in the school play! There's no way Nancy will get stuck in the chorus again this year—she's been practicing guitar for months and her audition was superb. So when Nancy gets a callback, she's overwhelmed with joy! But after Nancy's performance during the play is captured on a video that gets posted on YouTube, it seems her stardom has gone viral. Will Nancy's humiliation get the best of her, or will she find a way to embrace her newfound fame?

Lily says: I loved the Fancy Nancy books when I was little, so it's fun to read about Nancy as a kid my age. She is a regular girl who isn't the best at everything. I think lots of kids know how that feels. Nancy is funny and smart and has an awesome best friend named Bree. I really like these books!


Happy reading,
Princess Dagger (and Cosmoe, too)

PS: If you like today's post, click the "way cool" box below!!!

PPS: We've written lots of posts about awesome middle-grade books this summer. Check them out:

5 great book series for girls ages 7-9
6 awesome middle-grade books for adventure lovers
5 science fiction / dystopian series for fans of The Hunger Games
5 graphic and illustrated book series that kids love
6 fun book series for kids who think they don't like books



Image credit: This image is a derivative of “Mikaela_Cooper-Age-10-DOB-July-14-1996-image011” by mikaela.cooper and is licensed under CC BY 2.0.